Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Fat Tuesday



For some Christians today is Mardi Gras, others know it as Shrove Tuesday. Our family celebrates it as Fat Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday and the beginning of the pentitential practices of Lent.



Sam and Bre get in the spirit!


In our family it is our tradition to go to my Aunt Dorothy's for filhoses (Portuguese donuts) on Fat Tuesday. It is Jake and Sam's favorite thing! The house is absolutely full of people and there are lots and lots of kids running around, eating fresh filhose for dinner. I have only missed two Fat Tuesday's since my boys have been born and both times I tried to make filhose for them. Both times, I have failed. They look good, they taste fine. But they are not the same light , crispy and sweet donuts my aunt turns out of her kitchen by the hundreds. I think next year, if we are not in Bakersfield, I am going to have to change our tradition up and make pancakes or something I know I can do!!


Will enjoyed licking all the powdered sugar off!

No comments: