Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sam's Confirmation and First Holy Communion

Yesterday Sam received the sacraments of Confirmation and Holy Communion. It was a lovely day and we were so proud of Sam. He worked very hard to prepare for these sacraments. He put together a wonderful scrapbook of his studies so he could remember everything he learned. It is something he will treasure forever. Just like John and I will forever treasure the memory of watching him receive the gifts of the Holy Spirit and the body of Christ for the first time. Neither of us could keep a dry eye. After he was confirmed and sealed with the Holy Chrism, I gave him a kiss. The smell of the Chrism lingered, and throughout the day I was reminded that just as the smell of the Chrism Sam received spread to me, we do indeed spread the mercy and grace of God to one another. It will be a privilege for John and I to watch Sam answer the Lord's call and spread the fragrance of Christ wherever he goes.