Saturday, December 13, 2008

Happy Feast of St. Lucy


Today is the Feast of St. Lucy whose name means light. We had plans for attending the electric company's light parade tonight but since we have wind gusts of 55 mph and possibly snow, I decided to pass! Instead, for breakfast I made cinnamon orange bread in the shape of a wreath with candles. It is meant to resemble the wreaths of greenery and candles that Swedish girls wear to celebrate St. Lucy's feast. Jake and Sam were very excited, and I have to say it was pretty yummy! When we were reading about the life of St. Lucy this morning we also learned that she is the patron saint against hemmorhages. Upon learning this I offered a silent prayer. I think this is just one more reason this day will continue to have special meaning for us.

No comments: